tools to burn audio CD from mp3 files
Brian McMinn
2003-11-23 02:07:23 UTC
I'm tired of copying all my mp3 files over to my DOS partition and
then booting that *other* operating system in order to burn audio CDs.
I've read the various HOWTOs at linuxdoc and all of them are pretty
far out of date.

I've used cdrecord for the actual burning process and I've
used mpg123 to convert some mp3's into wav format. It's a pretty
clunky process and mpg123 sometimes just dies on some of my mp3's
and fails to convert to 44100 format on some others.

Mpg123 looks like it hasn't been updated since 1999 (rev 0.59r).
Mpg321 is also old (well over a year since last update 2002-03-24).
MAD looks to be more recent but requires a pretty determined bunch
of installation to get the libraries in place and compile.

Xcdroast looks like a much more recently maintained program but it
doesn't (yet) convert mp3's to wav format. It does have a nice GUI
but I still have to convert my mp3's by hand and move them into the
area where xcdroast looks for them. I've downloaded Xcdroast
0.98alpha15 and it's working well for me.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has a fairly simple system for
writing audio CDs from mp3 files. I'd also like to know what the
current "best" tools are for converting mp3 to wav format.

My current system is a fairly stock RH9.0 with an older IDE burner.

Thanks,
Brian McMinn
(convert linkofearth to earthlink for real e-mail address)
steve harris
2003-11-23 03:11:05 UTC
Post by Brian McMinn
[...]
Gtoaster can do it on the fly.
Works great.
Brian McMinn
2003-11-23 05:42:47 UTC
Thanks for the recommendation. Did I find the right page at
http://gnometoaster.rulez.org? If so, it looks like gtoaster
hasn't had any work done on it since September 2002 (the most
recent Red Hat version listed is 7.2). Since it uses mpg123
to convert mp3 files to wav, I'd expect that it has the same
problems that I'm currently having with running the programs
directly from the command line.

I'm sure hoping there's a more recent web site that has a more
recent version of gtoaster on it and I'm just not looking in
the right place.

Thanks,
Brian McMinn (change linkofearth to earthlink to email)
Works great.
steve harris
2003-11-23 12:47:02 UTC
Post by Brian McMinn
Thanks for the recommendation. Did I find the right page at
http://gnometoaster.rulez.org? If so, it looks like gtoaster
hasn't had any work done on it since September 2002 (the most
recent Red Hat version listed is 7.2). Since it uses mpg123
to convert mp3 files to wav, I'd expect that it has the same
problems that I'm currently having with running the programs
directly from the command line.
I'm sure hoping there's a more recent web site that has a more
recent version of gtoaster on it and I'm just not looking in
the right place.
Thanks,
Brian McMinn (change linkofearth to earthlink to email)
You're right.
1.0beta6 is on my Mandrake9.2 system.

Well use it anyway!
:)

Fine wine....gets better with age......

Jacob Heider
2003-11-23 05:37:55 UTC
[...]
On my RH9 system, I have:

$ rpm -q mpg321 cdrecord
mpg321-0.2.10-3.fr
cdrecord-2.0-11.9.1

and the following works for me for directories containing albums of mp3s
in <Track> - <Song> (<Artist>).mp3 format.

#!/bin/sh

rm -rf /tmp/wavs/
mkdir /tmp/wavs/
cd "$1"
for x in *.mp3
do
mpg321 -v "$x" --cdr /tmp/wavs/${x%% - *}.wav
done
cd /tmp/wavs
cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=24 -v -dao -eject -pad -useinfo *.wav
rm -rf /tmp/wavs/

Then I can just type

burn_mp3s /mnt/mp3/music/albums/Jay-Z\ -\ The\ Black\ Album

and get a cd out of my burner.

Things to look out for:

Make you can write in /tmp (probably can)
The scripts expects the filenames to contain " - ", and not have any
space before those.

Otherwise, it should be pretty portable.

Jacob
Brandon Niemczyk
2003-11-23 10:30:19 UTC
Post by Brian McMinn
[...]
just my 2 cents but.. you may want to check out k3b.sourceforge.net
it's quit nice
"fuck L. Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones"
andreas schlueter